Birch Aquarium at Scripps
San Diego Birch Aquarium at Scripps
Where:2300 Expedition Way, La Jolla, CA 92037
Admission:$9-$14 Ushering visitors into the underwater world of the sea, Birch Aquarium at Scripps is brought to you by the renowned Scripps Institution of Oceanography at UC San Diego. On display are over 60 habitats and hands-on exhibits focused on Pacific marine life. With an awe-inspiring location in gorgeous La Jolla, the aquarium sits on a bluff over the ocean at the heart of its studies, affording visitors a breathtaking panoramic view of the water before diving in.
What Sort of Exhibits are on Display? -Exhibits at Birch Aquarium are observational, research-based, and interactive, with educational conservation at the core of every one. Be sure to visit:
- “Feeling the Heat: The Climate Challenge,” an award-winning exhibit that concisely presents a half-century of research into the global effects of climate change.
- The Tropical Seas Gallery with live coral, and interactive displays about the integral role reefs play in the environment.
- The Hall of Fishes and its 60-habitat journey, from the Pacific Northwest to the California coast, then south to the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean.
- Shark Reef, with various species of sharks from tropical reefs, including blacktips and epaulettes, in a 13,000-gallon exhibit.
- Hands-on fun at Preuss Tide-Pool Plaza, offering guests a chance to explore 3 San Diego tide pools, replete with starfish, crabs, lobsters, and more.